This is not just some whimpy "weblog," it's a real "mrlog" of what is going on in Michael and Rachel's life recently. Stay tuned for updates!

Friday, June 27, 2008

Senegal Part II: Challenged in prayer!

Later in the week we joined in the congregations fasts. We fasted for three days from 6AM to 6PM in preparation for an all night prayer vigil. The fasts were not by themselves though. The congregation came out to a seminar each of those days and during the breaks in teaching, we prayed and prayed. Often spending at least 3 hours in that day praying. The church will continue this cycle the last week of every month!

This was a wonderful experience. After the first day, I was so tired I didn't think that I would make it. After the second day, I slept at least 10 hours. But at the end of the third day, I couldn't believe it was already over. I couldn't believe I would eat breakfast the next morning, it seemed odd!

I so enjoyed the time in prayer and I was was surprised by the self fulling prophecy I see in our churches verses African churches. In the US our churches are fulfilling our expectations! We don't ask much of our congregants, we limit God's power, and we get what we put into it. How often do you or the lay people in your church commit to spending 26 hours in a week once a month to pray and fast?

There are other things that we do well in the US in our churches, but this is a wonderful way to be challenged by our brothers and sisters around the world.

No comments: