This week we're staying at a Methodist seminary in Sibu, Malaysia on the island of Borneo. I've learned a lot on this trip, but I'd say that I probably knew the least about the context here in Malaysia than any other place I've been so far, so I might have increased my knowledge the most here.
One aspect that I didn't expect is that there are a lot of Methodists here in Sarawak (the name of the state/province). Apparently around 1900 a lot of Chinese Foochow people migrated to this part of Borneo at the urging of an important Chinese Methodist, to cultivate rice for the area and escape political/religious persecution. So there is a huge Chinese population here, along with the native peoples like the 'Iban' (many of whom also became Methodist through Taiwanese missionaries who are ethnically related...). While this is probably more than you wanted to know about Sarawak, it has proven to be a very different situation than what I expected from knowing just a little about the conservative Muslim atmosphere of Western Malaysia.
The last thing I'll say is that we have been amazed at the friendliness and hospitality of the people here. Rachel and I have traveled to many places that have standards of hospitality much higher than the U.S., but this place is off the charts. Everyone at the seminary has been genuinely interested in helping us and inviting us to participate in whatever they are doing. Not to mention going out of their way to buy us things and give us oodles of exotic fruits/dishes. We are trying to figure out if these people are just naturally extroverts, or if their community just cultivates such selfless outreach. They also just had other visitors from the U.S. last week, and so it's not like we are some sort of freak-show that temporarily peaks their interest... I don't know, but I'm sure there's a lesson or two to be learned from these people:)
This is not just some whimpy "weblog," it's a real "mrlog" of what is going on in Michael and Rachel's life recently. Stay tuned for updates!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment