This is not just some whimpy "weblog," it's a real "mrlog" of what is going on in Michael and Rachel's life recently. Stay tuned for updates!

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

welcoming and growth

Michael and I worshiped at a friend's (Sunil's) church this past Sunday. Unfortunately, he is not in Singapore right now, but we found his church. (This is also one of the churches Dr. Sunquist pastored while living in Singapore). I was not surprised that we were warmly greeted by three or four people. I had heard examples of this church being friendly many times from various friends.

I was surprised that when the pastor came in during the worship songs, he stopped by and greeted Michael and I each by name, having never met us before. Obviously someone had told him about our presence in worship, but what an inclusive act!

Since we were obviously foreigners, it isn't surprising that some people recognized we were not regular attendees at church and came by to greet us. This was definitely the most we have ever been greeted in a strange church that we were only visiting for one week? I think the best thing that we can happen from interacting with the church internationally is change, so this experience made me wonder, what would be the secret to make all churches as open and welcoming?
My thoughts lead me to think that large impersonal churches are a root cause of our welcoming problems. Could we develop a smaller community of fellowship that can really hold each other accountable and won't be afraid to welcome a strange face for fear that they have been in church all along and you never noticed them? I don't know…

This follows alongside some of the teachings from a seminary we attended while in Senegal. It was suggested that churches should be composed of thirty members from more than four family groups and as soon as a church is that large, they should start planting another church. What does that mean for Michael's most recent $30,000 degree? Again, I don't really know, but it surely means bi-vocational pastors (as 30 people cannot support a full time pastor), as well as a vision for evangelism.

It brings up a major conflict between the church growth movement (including marketing for larger churches) and fellowship intent on discipling and knowing each member well enough to hold each other to a high standard. The size of a church is a question of prestige for a pastor, yet how healthy is it for the church and the members? What is making a church grow? Is it growing with new Christians or from transfers?

All I really have are a lot of questions…

No comments: