This is not just some whimpy "weblog," it's a real "mrlog" of what is going on in Michael and Rachel's life recently. Stay tuned for updates!

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

TV relief

I have never been one to watch much TV. About a year and a half ago Michael challenged me to name 5 current TV shows. I started naming Friends, Senfield, so he cut me off and said no reruns. I think in the end I made it to 6 shows because I included Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, and The Price is Right. A couple of days later I realized that I could have just named CSI and any large city in the US and name 10 more shows.

I have also spent a decent amount of my life without TV. For a year in Guatemala and 2/3 of the year in Slovakia I didn't watch any TV. So in VN we had a TV in our hotel room. Not any TV, but all the cinemax movie type channels, as well as Australian news and reruns of old soccer games. With so many channels to choose from there was always something that was interesting on TV. Partially due to jet lag, Michael and I found ourselves up at midnight watching Crocodile Hunter pull snakes out of rivers in Malaysia (we thought it was somewhat important to see because we will be there next week :).

Well, I find all this interesting because I felt an overwhelming sense of relief that our hotel room in Singapore does not have a TV. So I don't have to turn it on upon entering the room and I don't need noise to fill the room while I hand wash our clothes. I noticed that while Michael was gone that I constantly had TV on in our apartment to make noise while I was doing my tasks.

No comments: