I have actually been somewhat afraid while in Singapore. If you follow international news they often have stories about strick punishments for breaking the law in Singapore. I was afraid that I would do something without thinking and be the next international story.
My friend Caroline lived here for years and in high school I remember her telling me that it was only common sense and I wouldn't have to worry about it. And our friends, Sunil and Solan told us that most of the punishments are fines. Still, I have not j-walked and I paid careful attention to the laws that are different from the US.
One of our first days here Michael and I were checking out Orchard Road shopping when we went into Plaza Singapura. This is an 8 story mall filled with people on this Saturday. We rode the escalators to the top and looked down at the people. Interestingly enough this is the only time in my life that I have ever had the urge to spit to the bottom. I normally think that this is gross and don't know why anyone would have the urge to do it. Of course, it is one of the Singapore laws, no spitting. (Even if it wasn't a law, I am sure I wouldn't have done it, as there were people and clothes on the bottom floor.) But I couldn't believe the thought would enter my mind and figured it probably was only because it was illegal.
By the way, while waiting for Michael for five hours I saw two Asians spit in public and an Asian man eating on the bus. I really didn't think people in Singapore would break the law, only us silly foreigners! Even though I walk in fear, I am glad that Singapore has and upholds their laws for the good of the public.
This is not just some whimpy "weblog," it's a real "mrlog" of what is going on in Michael and Rachel's life recently. Stay tuned for updates!
Tuesday, July 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment